Saturday, May 30, 2009

shipping out

HEY! welcome!!!

i'm leaving in the morning -- CMI-JFK-Casablanca-Bamako -- for an eleven-week internship with the Mali Health Organizing Project in Sikoro, in Mali's capital city.

I love you guys. this blog is for you.

(thanks in advance for leaving so many comments that the world wide web crash-lands on this very cyberspot - RIP.)

alright. time to rearrange power bars, capris and cans of tuna so they're magically under 50 lbs.

xxxooo Colette

the following is nicked from my post to the starr fellow blog (check it out at siihub.com!)

In a couple days, I’ll be tugging my rolling suitcase along the gravelly streets of Sikoro, one of the poorest districts of Mali’s fast-growing capital city of Bamako. I’ll be flipping and flopping in potently new-smelling Chacos, lugging a backpack crammed with instant oatmeal and Sudoku, and blinding onlookers with a violently orange rain poncho that didn’t fit in my luggage. “Hey, I’m Colette! How do I feed myself??” Ready to rock my second toddler-hood.

I am apprehensive and excited by the work to be done this summer – something I haven’t thought about concurrently with touching down in my polka-dotted cultural flying saucer. My work experience so far with MHOP has combined baby-steps – clacking on Word at my laptop and wondering what the heck a real health survey is supposed to look like – with breathtaking and terrifying leaps, as my efforts are emailed straight to Dr. Marietta in Sikoro in time for community health worker training. I feel under-qualified and respected -- welcomed to the work-site of Malian and U.S. experts and invited to jump in. I’ve been empowered by this incredibly competent, intimate and fast-flying organization called MHOP – and I have no idea what my niche will be. But I’m confident it’ll come in its own time. Caitlin Cohen will be in town.

Siguida Keneyali – Health In Our Homes – is a community-health-worker initiative that will reach sixty families this summer, bringing high-impact health services to moms and their kids in the home. Instead of unthinkable cash fees, adults will pay by performing three Action Fees – community service, like voting, helping out with trash collection or peer health education, and working in the clinic. Action For Health. The pilot was designed and steered by an elected committee in Sikoro – the Community Health Action Group, or CHAG. Since this is a pilot initiative, evaluation is needed for CHAG to monitor its success and reshape the program as it happens. What does women’s empowerment mean in Sikoro? Is Project Chubby Baby (fortified peanut butter) reaching those who need it? How can action fees be monitored, and how will they impact health outcomes?

Let us know if you have ideas -- we’ll be trying our hardest. Wow…I get to say “we.” By that, I mean CHAG and MHOP -- inspiring Malian and American minds that have let me follow and join them as they tackle a neighborhood’s crisis of health and empowerment. More to come.

20 comments:

  1. comment comment comment. con-mint.

    have a safe flight! and girl, you don't need no power bars... you already got all the power you need.

    lots of love,
    sophia

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH I hope your adventure starts out marvelously! Your blog has a bookmark on my Firefox now, so never fear, it shall be commented on extensively. Much love, Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Halloo :P

    Just perusing through the web and encountered this. Greetings!!

    - Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man, colette. sounds so exciting and super cool and useful. go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a proverb in Mali: 'Life is like a ballet, danced only once'. Enjoy the dance! Lots of love, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  6. eeep!!! safe travels, you. you're SO ready for this adventure. keep me posted every second. and use the phone well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Colette!!!! Are you off having incredible adventures without me? Well I expect some quality footage for our nature show while you're down there :-)

    And what's this nonsense about capris? We don't need no clothes colette :-P

    Seriously though, I'm incredibly jealous! Have a blast in mali, I'll be reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bookmarked you sooo hard :)

    Good travels, can't wait to hear all about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A ni sogoma
    n'say
    somogow?
    I am excited to hear about the work that you are doing along the way and am sure you will soon become familiar with these phrases.
    I was in Bamako for almost my entire study abroad, though we travelled a bit. We lived with a Coulibary family in Doumanzana, which is one of the neighborhoods farthest from the center of the city to the north--then I lived in Magnanbougou, south of the river, for the apprenticeship portion of the study. I am not sure where Sikoro is--the only place I can pinpoint with that name in my memory seems to be that town north of Bamako--where is the neighborhood? I look forward to more news and updates!

    def catchup in aug--
    Maya

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll put you in my Google Reader post haste! Looking forward to all your updates :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Colettey! Good luck, my friend. I miss you already, and know you will have an incredible time. Our Olympic duo [remember the cageball (is that what it was called?) games in Carle Park?] is stretching across the globe! Go get em, tiger.

    ReplyDelete
  12. colette! good luck, I know you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey remember when we were on the same flight and got to hang out for the last hours before we both went on our internships??? It was awesome.

    Also good luck, have fun, you're amazing, and update often!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good Luck Colette! You'll do amazing work I'm sure - and I'm so excited to hear all about it this summer and in the fall!

    love,
    Fritzsche

    ReplyDelete
  15. One superstition that most Russians entertain pertains to traveling; to ensure a safe trip they sit in silence for about ten seconds right before leaving, whether their destination is to their dacha (summer house) located right outside the city, or to some faraway land (like Mali! :) ) I just participated in this tradition on your behalf.

    That was my (albeit longwinded) way of saying, I hope you have a safe flight, and best of luck with your first few weeks! I look forward to reading about everything you're up to! (/maybe will be lucky enough to have a face to face update via skype? :) )

    Love and Best Wishes!
    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  16. ahh have the best time!!! hope it's a safe and productive trip!

    lucky for you I used to TUTOR so i totally know how to read really well which means I can read your blog all the time AND leave comments :) yayy

    ReplyDelete
  17. dude. seriously. i am so excited for you, especially after reading more about what MHOP is all about. i am also SUPER bummed you will be leaving Mali approx 5 days before i arrive. DAMN. but i will so enjoy reading your blog this summer, especially what you have for breakfast because im curious what I will be having for breakfast haha. and i totes linked to you in my blog (still getting used to this blog thannng, but whatever)
    http://ljbabbs.wordpress.com/

    much love
    LINDSAY

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope you have fun colette. I'll miss not seeing you in Houston. Safe travels.
    Love,
    Luke

    ReplyDelete
  19. Coletttte!
    This is so exciting, I wish I could talk to you in person. I'm going to Honduras in a few days for two months so I guess we'll have to talk all about everything when we get back, especially because we're working on reallly similar projects!! AHH! you rock,
    love love love,
    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whew! It was really great reading about your adventures. You are doing worthwhile work. Hang in there, and we'll look forward to seeing you again when you're back. Great pictures too. Why did the two directors leave? We weren't clear on that. Talk to you again later.

    Ma Toots,
    Owen,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete